You can link an external payer to a patient (such as an employer, parent, or guardian), who can pay for invoices on their behalf. The paying account can either be an existing patient record on your system or a contact in your system. For information on how to add a contact, click here.
Note: To add an external payer to a patient's record, you must have a role assigned to you that gives you editing permissions for Patients and Invoices.
In this article:
Add a Payer to a Patient Record
You can add a contact as a payer for a patient at any time from the Patients page:
1. Select the patient who you want to add an external payer for.
2. Click the edit icon in the top right-hand corner.
3. Go to the Relationships and emergency contacts section and click Add relationship.
4. Fill out the details of the relationship:
Relationship type: Select Paying account
Patient or contact name: Select the person who is going to be the payer on behalf of the patient
5. Click Add relationship.
6. Click Save at the top of the patient's record.
The contact is now linked to the patient as a payer and you can issue them invoices.
Create an Invoice for an External Payer
To bill an invoice to an external payer:
1. Start creating a patient invoice as you normally would. For information on how to do this, see here.
2. Go to the Billing section of the invoice and select the external payer from the Billing to dropdown menu.
3. Finish filling out the details of the invoice.
4. Click Save invoice.
The invoice is created and the external payer appears in the To section: