This article is about adding an external payer for a patient, and then billing that person for the patient's invoices. For information about linking an insurer to a patient, see here.
Note: To set up an external payer for a patient, you must have a role assigned to you that gives you editing permissions for Contacts, Patients, and Invoices. For more information on roles, see here.
In this article:
Link a Contact to a Patient
You can link an external payer (such as a family member) to a patient, as a contact.
Note: Before you attempt to link an insurer to a patient, you must first make sure that they have been added as an external contact in Semble. For information on how to do this, see here.
1. Select the patient who you want to link an external payer with.
2. Click the edit icon in the top right-hand corner.
3. Scroll down to the Relationships and emergency contacts section.
4. Click Add relationship.
5. Select a Relationship type from the dropdown.
6. Type the name of the external payer, then select them from the dropdown.
7. Click Add relationship. The external payer is added to the patient's Relationships and emergency contacts section.
8. Click Save at the top of the page.
The external payer is now linked to the patient. You can now bill the payer for the patient's invoices.
Bill a Contact for an Invoice
When you have linked an external payer to a patient, you can bill them for the patient's invoices:
1. Start creating an invoice as you normally would. For information on how to do this, see here.
2. Go to the Billing section of the invoice, and select the external payer who you want to bill from the To dropdown.
3. Finish filling out the invoice as you normally would.
4. Click Save invoice.
The invoice is created, with the selected contact as the payer: