This article is for clinicians and medical secretaries who want to learn how to submit and receive lab tests from external laboratories.
Note: To submit and process labs, you must have a role assigned to you that gives you editing permissions for Patients and Labs. For more information on roles, see here.
In this article:
Submit a lab test
You can request a lab test for a patient from the Patients page.
Note: Your clinic must have an account linked with an external laboratory, and have set up at least one product before attempting to submit a lab test. For information on how to set this up, see here.
1. Create a new consultation note for the patient who you want to order labs for. For information on creating consultation notes, see here.
2. Click the Product tag in the consultation note creation window.
3. Enter the name of the lab test.
4. Fill out the rest of the product details. These will be different depending on which lab test you selected.
5. Complete the rest of the consultation note as required.
6. Click Save at the bottom of the screen.
7. Click Order labs under the consultation note that you have just created.
The lab test request is automatically sent to the external laboratory. The lab appears in the patient's Labs tab.
Process a lab test result
When a lab test result has been sent back to your clinic, you can view and process all lab test results from the Labs tab:
1. Select a patient you want to view the lab result for. You can see the full details of the lab test.
2. Click the more options icon in the top right-hand corner.
3. Select Mark as processed.
The lab test status turns green and is marked as Processed.
Print a lab test result
You can print a lab test result at any time from the Labs page:
1. Select the patient who you want to print lab results for.
2. Click the print icon in the patient summary.
The lab results open in a new tab as a PDF.
3. Print the PDF as you normally would.